GardenWatch

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Bermuda lawns, the definitive guide

So let me say this right at the beginning.  None of the ideas in this guide are original to me.  They are the result of reading and watching a multitude of articles and videos about this subject and gleaning the appropriate information for my area (transition zone 8) and grass type (warm season Bermuda grass).   This is a work in progress as more resources are consulted.  The title, "definitive guide" is intended as a small joke, but partly true in that it is definitive for my own style and experience of what works for me.

The primary audience for this guide is myself alone.  It is simply a place to organize my thoughts.

There are three components of this guide.

Yearly Maintenance Program The first section is the Yearly Maintenance program that is intended for as an ongoing program for a well established and well cared for lawn.  

Rescue ProgramThe second section is a Rescue Program for what to do when you realize that things are getting out of control, and the weeds and neglect are beginning to overwhelm your once-beautiful lawn.

Deep Start ProgramThe third section is a start-over Program for how to begin to work on a neglected lawn that is nothing but weeds.  

Bermuda Tools. This last section shows you all the materials, fertilizer, herbicide, insecticide and other things that are approved for use in a Bermuda grass lawn.



I'm going to begin by building up the program with each component.  Then in the second section, I put it all into a  yearly program that can be followed each month.  If I can outline the basics, then I will understand how these components fit into the calendar throughout the year.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment